Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Catching up on comics with CGraig: Kanan #10-12

(Marvel, 2016)

I said much of what I want to say about Kanan in my "forgotten but not gone" Star Wars review posted on this site back in January, but at the same time, now that the series has come to a close, I have a few more thoughts.

Foremost, the Rebels framing sequence for the final storyline didn't work for me at all.  It felt altogether unnecessary and the forced connection between the now and the flashback didn't really have meaningful connection. 

"after Sohn"..do we know the source image
Mark Brooks references here? A striking piece
Though I imagine this was intended as a finite run (if not from the onset, then at least by the end of the first arc I'm sure the powers that be at Lucasfilm and Marvel thought their Star Wars comics effort was probably better spent elsewhere) it still felt like Weisman still had a more complex backstory for Kanan/Caleb that he had to concentrate and close out early. 

I like that this series acts as a bridge between the Clone Wars cartoon and Rebels, and does so quite effectively.  It feels more like Clone Wars than Rebels for sure.  My initial reservation that it wasn't enough like Rebels can actually be put aside, as I like the Clone Wars feel more, and would've appreciated further bridging between the two series.  Again, the idea of a Rebels anthology still strikes me as the more appropriate idea, showing the Clone Wars back story of each of the latter series' protagonists.

I can't say that I'll miss Kanan as a series, as I felt it did the job it needed to do, but I do hope there's more Rebels comics coming...so long as they have purpose as well.

No comments: